Car Insurance Liability Requirements in Rutherford
- Minimum Liability Limits in Rutherford: 15/30/5 
- 15 Required coverage up to $15,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 30 Required coverage up to $30,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 5 Required coverage up to $5,000 for property damage in an accident
- Note: The amounts listed above are the minimum coverage amounts required by the law. Drivers can opt to purchase more than the mandatory minimum amounts.
- Note: Basic policy (optional) limits are $10,000/$10,000/$5,000. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage not available under the basic policy but uninsured motorist coverage is required under the standard policy.
Required Car Insurance Coverage in Rutherford
- Rutherford Auto Insurance Coverage Requirements 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Uninsured motorist coverage
- Underinsured motorist coverage
- Personal injury protection coverage
Car Insurance Verification Laws in Rutherford
- Insurer Verification of Auto Insurance in Rutherford 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
- Insurers must submit entire list of insurance in effect, which may be compared with registrations at a state agency. Also known as a computer data law.
Rutherford Car Insurance Facts, Estimates & Related Laws
Rutherford Car Insurance Stats
- Number of Auto Insurance Policies in Rutherford
- Based on historical and current data, 11,009 cars are currently insured in Rutherford. 
- New Jersey cities collectively ranked 12th in the nation in auto insurance policies in 2011 with a total of 5,358,929. 
- Uninsured Motorist Rate in Rutherford
- Based on historical and current data, Rutherford has an estimated 1,375 uninsured drivers. 
- New Jersey cities collectively had the 31st highest uninsured motorist rate in the nation in 2009. 
- Average Car Insurance Rates in Rutherford
- New Jersey cities collectively had the 1st highest auto insurance rates in the nation in 2010. 
Rutherford Distracted Driving Laws
- Hand-held phone ban? Yes
- hand-held phone ban in place for all drivers. 
- Texting-while-driving ban? Yes
- Texting-while-driving ban in place for all drivers. 
- Young drivers cell phone ban? Yes
- Ban applies to learner's permit and intermediate license holders. 
- Bus driver cell phone ban? Yes
- Ban applies to school bus drivers. 
- Enforcement of laws:
- Primary enforcement in effect. 
- With primary enforcement, a police officer can pull over a driver for that specific offense. Drivers cannot be pulled over solely for a secondary offense.
Rutherford Automotive Laws
- Minimum Driving Age in Rutherford 
- Rutherford, NJ minimum driving age: 16 years.
- Driver's License Renewal Cycle in Rutherford
- Renewal cycle: 4 years 
- Motorcycle Helmet Laws in Rutherford
- Motorcycle helmets required for all riders. 
- Safety Belt Laws in Rutherford
- Safety belt laws have been in place since 1985 and apply to drivers/passengers 7 years and younger and more than 80 pounds; 8+ in all seats. 
- Child restraint law in place for 7 years and younger and less than 80 pounds. 
New Jersey Car & Driver Facts
New Jersey Auto Registrations
- Auto Registrations in NJ 
- Registered Cars: 4,416,631
- Registered Trucks: 3,172,253
- Registered Motorcycles: 330,489
- Total Registrations: 7,939,956
- Rank: New Jersey ranked 9th in the United States in total auto registrations in 2011.
New Jersey Automotive Facts
- Speed Limits in NJ
- Rural interstates: 65 mph 
- Urban interstates: 55 mph 
- Other roads: 55 mph 
- New Jersey Motor Fuel Consumption
- New Jersey cities collectively ranked 11th in the nation in total motor fuel consumption in 2011. 
New Jersey Licensed Drivers
- Licensed Drivers in NJ 
- Female Drivers: 3,042,562
- Male Drivers: 2,934,896
- Total Drivers: 5,977,458
- Rank: 12th highest in the U.S.
Additional information about Rutherford, NJ
Rutherford (New Jersey) is a borough with a population of 18,061  that is located in Bergen County.
Did you know?
Driving while text messaging is currently banned for all drivers in 41 states and the District of Columbia.
1. ^ Automobile Insurance Plans Service Office (AIPSO)
2. ^ National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
3. ^ Insurance Research Council (IRC)
4. ^ Insurance Information Institute (III)
5. ^ Automobile Insurance Plans Service Office (AIPSO) & United States Census Bureau
6. ^ Insurance Research Council (IRC) and United States Census Bureau
7. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) & Highway Loss Data Institute
8. ^ Office of Highway Policy Information
9. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
10. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
11. ^ Federal Highway Administration
12. ^ United States Census Bureau
13. ^ National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
14. ^ National Telecommunications & Information Administration (NTIA)