Car Insurance Liability Requirements in Columbus
- Minimum Liability Limits in Columbus: 25/50/10 
- 25 Required coverage up to $25,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 50 Required coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 10 Required coverage up to $10,000 for property damage in an accident
- Note: The amounts listed above are the minimum coverage amounts required by the law. Drivers can opt to purchase more than the mandatory minimum amounts.
Required Car Insurance Coverage in Columbus
- Columbus Auto Insurance Coverage Requirements 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
Car Insurance Verification Laws in Columbus
- Insurer Verification of Auto Insurance in Columbus 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
- Insurer must verify randomly selected insurance policies upon request.
Columbus Car Insurance Facts, Estimates & Related Laws
Columbus Car Insurance Stats
- Number of Auto Insurance Policies in Columbus
- Based on historical and current data, 1,231 cars are currently insured in Columbus. 
- New Mexico cities collectively ranked 36th in the nation in auto insurance policies in 2011 with a total of 1,523,172. 
- Uninsured Motorist Rate in Columbus
- Based on historical and current data, Columbus has an estimated 295 uninsured drivers. 
- New Mexico cities collectively had the 2nd highest uninsured motorist rate in the nation in 2009. 
- Average Car Insurance Rates in Columbus
- New Mexico cities collectively had the 30th highest auto insurance rates in the nation in 2010. 
Columbus Distracted Driving Laws
- Hand-held phone ban? No
- Texting-while-driving ban? Yes
- Texting-while-driving ban in place for learner's permit and intermediate license holders. 
- Young drivers cell phone ban? Yes
- Ban applies to learner's permit and intermediate license holders. 
- Bus driver cell phone ban? No
- Enforcement of laws:
- Primary enforcement in effect. 
- With primary enforcement, a police officer can pull over a driver for that specific offense. Drivers cannot be pulled over solely for a secondary offense.
Columbus Automotive Laws
- Minimum Driving Age in Columbus 
- Columbus, NM minimum driving age: 15 years.
- Driver's License Renewal Cycle in Columbus
- Renewal cycle: 4 or 8 years at the option of the driver 
- Motorcycle Helmet Laws in Columbus
- Motorcycle helmets required for 17 and younger. 
- Safety Belt Laws in Columbus
- Safety belt laws have been in place since 1986 and apply to drivers/passengers 18+ years in all seats. 
- Child restraint law in place for younger than 1 year in a rear-facing infant seat; 1 - 4 years or less than 40 pounds in a child safety seat; 5 - 6 or less than 60 pounds in a booster seat. 
New Mexico Car & Driver Facts
New Mexico Auto Registrations
- Auto Registrations in NM 
- Registered Cars: 718,457
- Registered Trucks: 984,465
- Registered Motorcycles: 64,912
- Total Registrations: 1,772,040
- Rank: New Mexico ranked 37th in the United States in total auto registrations in 2011.
New Mexico Automotive Facts
- Speed Limits in NM
- Rural interstates: 75 mph 
- Urban interstates: 75 mph 
- Other roads: 55 mph 
- New Mexico Motor Fuel Consumption
- New Mexico cities collectively ranked 35th in the nation in total motor fuel consumption in 2011. 
New Mexico Licensed Drivers
- Licensed Drivers in NM 
- Female Drivers: 711,481
- Male Drivers: 707,160
- Total Drivers: 1,418,641
- Rank: 36th highest in the U.S.
Additional information about Columbus, NM
Columbus (New Mexico) is a village with a population of 1,664  that is located in Luna County.
Did you know?
Novice drivers are prohibited from the use of all cell phones in 37 states and the District of Columbia.
1. ^ Automobile Insurance Plans Service Office (AIPSO)
2. ^ National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
3. ^ Insurance Research Council (IRC)
4. ^ Insurance Information Institute (III)
5. ^ Automobile Insurance Plans Service Office (AIPSO) & United States Census Bureau
6. ^ Insurance Research Council (IRC) and United States Census Bureau
7. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) & Highway Loss Data Institute
8. ^ Office of Highway Policy Information
9. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
10. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
11. ^ Federal Highway Administration
12. ^ United States Census Bureau
13. ^ National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
14. ^ National Telecommunications & Information Administration (NTIA)